Wednesday, May 28, 2014

I'm Baaaaaack!

Aside from being an awesome three-day weekend, with great food and great weather, this weekend was a huge confidence boost for my running! I had a fantastic 4.5 mile run on Saturday, which was my longest run since February, 2012, and it was a very smart run too! The weather was perfect, and I managed negative splits, which I tend to struggle with on my longer runs. I was so pleased with that run, that I would have been okay if that was my only run of the weekend, but I was really thinking about trying to run Monday night, too. I figured, if I went ahead and got a run in, I wouldn't need to worry about running in the morning, and the weather didn't suck, so maybe... The lazy part of me said "But, it's a holiday! You should take the day off! Take it easy! Plus, look at those rain clouds! You should stay home." I managed to ignore that voice, put on my running clothes, and headed out during what I thought was a break in the rain. I was totally wrong about the rain. Got really wet on my run, but I managed to bust out another sub-30-minute 5k, and missed hitting a PR by 3 seconds.

I've realized that I really don't run that many races, since my 5k PR is from July, 2011. But, I was thrilled with that race, since I managed to PR, despite the fact that it was July in Washington, DC! If you've never been to Washington, DC in July, all you need to know is that it's ridiculously hot, and stupidly humid. Not runner-friendly weather! Looking back on the race, I've realized that it wasn't really one to be proud of, since I didn't run it well at all. I busted my ass on the first mile, and then got waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay slower on the second and third. That's not how you want to run a race at all! You want to fly, not crawl across the finish line! So, when I managed to come this close to my PR on a dumb-ole run, without the adrenaline of race day, and nowhere near my physical peak (where I was in October, 2012), I was shocked, amazed, and hopeful. Maybe, just maybe this means I can get back to where I used to be as a runner!

Then yesterday, my BFF asked me if I want to do the Runner's World Run Streak with her. It involves running at least one mile every day between Memorial Day and July 4th. I've heard about streakers, but never really thought I would be one, since I would tend to stress out too much about stuff like that. The last thing I want is to end up not enjoying my runs. But, since this streak has a definite end date, and a short distance requirement, I think I can manage it. I figure, at the very least, I can take Mischa on a quick mile run on days I don't want to do a longer run. It will be good for me to get out every day, and I know she'll love it! So, I'm two days in, and so far so good! We'll see if I manage to keep it up...

Here's a breakdown so far:
  1. Monday, May 26th: 3.1 miles, 27:29, average pace: 8:58/mile. An awesome run in drizzly weather.
  2. Tuesday, May 27th: 1.11 miles, 11:06, average pace: 9:58/mile. Another wet run, with an unwilling running buddy. Yes, Mischa looooooooves to run, but she hates the rain, and the two kind of cancelled each other out.
A weekend of serious fun
And, and update on the Things: the babies had a great weekend, with family time, a playdate with another set of twins, and lots of time outside. Unfortunately, yesterday wasn't so great. While they were on their way back to our house with our nanny, the Things and Mischa were in a car accident. They were rear-ended while at a stoplight and the car was pushed forward into the car in front of it. Fortunately, no one was hurt, and hubby and I were nearby, and got there shortly after the accident. We decided to take the Things to the hospital, since Thing 2 was clearly upset, so mommy got her first ambulance ride! It was one of the most terrifying moments in my life, but it quickly became clear that Thing 2 was more scared than anything, and she had calmed down by the time we made it to the hospital. Thing 1 was a trooper the whole time, and just took everything in, from the flashing lights of the ambulance, to being held by the EMT. What a mellow boy! Actually, I think Mischa had it the worst: she literally had the crap scared out of her (yup, she pooped in the car), and was just relieved to be home safe and sound and snuggle all night.

After we got to the ER, the babies were admired by all the hospital staff, and quickly pronounced "perfect." We've checked with their pediatrician, and have been given the all-clear for them. They've quickly bounced back to their happy, active selves, which is a huge relief. Obviously, we're cuddling them a little more, and keeping a close eye on them, but they seem to be feeling no ill effects from the accident.

Speaking of active: we now officially have two mobile babies! Thing 1 decided enough was enough last week, and is now crawling almost as fast as Thing2 (of course, often in opposite directions)! We're quickly learning what babyproofing needs to be done, but it's so much fun to watch these two explore their home together.

No comments:

Post a Comment