Friday, June 26, 2015

Saying Goodbye

The Things were very lucky when they were born, to still have three great grandmothers living. They were also lucky enough to meet two of them at a very young age, and they've had several visits with both GG and Backy so far. Unfortunately, we hadn't been as good about getting them out to visit my dad's mother, since she lived in Ohio.

I knew we needed to change that, and we all made plans to go see her over Mother's Day weekend. Sadly, we waited too long, and she passed away the day before the babies were supposed to go meet her.

I feel so many things about this situation. I'm so sad that the babies never got to meet her, and that I never got to say goodbye. I'm mad at myself that we didn't try to make the trip sooner. I feel so guilty that I let myself fall so out of touch with her. If I'm honest, I'm a little mad at her too, for not holding on one more day.

My second Mother's Day ended up nothing like I wanted it to be, although I'm trying to remind myself to be grateful for the weekend I had. The babies got to visit with both of their Great Aunts and Uncles from that side of the family, and really enjoyed exploring a new place. We also went swimming at the pool, and got to spend time with GG on Mother's Day. It wasn't what I wanted for the weekend, but I know the babies had a good time, and that makes me happy.

Fun with Nana
Exploring the great outdoors



















Together after the service


One thing that make me feel better about the situation is the fact that we all got to say goodbye to Grandma, together. At the end of May, we had a memorial service for her in Ohio, and we all got to go. The Things got to meet two of my cousins for the first time, which makes me so happy. Sarah and I got to sing "Danny Boy" together at the service, which was hard, but wonderful. I'd never sung at a funeral for a family member before, and I was worried that I wouldn't be able to make it through the song. As much as TV shows romanticize singing and crying, I know that I don't do it well. But, Sarah and I made it through, and I like to think it would have made Grandma happy.

Obviously, we've been up to more since the end of May, but I wanted to take a moment to talk about this, since it had such a big impact on me recently.

Grandma, I hope you know how much I loved you. Big kisses!
1921-2015


No comments:

Post a Comment