Tuesday, June 9, 2015

REAL Women Move

Okay, I've been working on this post for a while, so it's time to just write it, already! I know I've mentioned my involvement as an Ambassador for Skirt Sports before, so I wanted to take a minute to talk about a new mission they've started, called #REALwomenmove. It's all about getting women to embrace their inner awesome and promote fitness at all levels. You can find out more about it here.

For those of you who know me, you may know that I was not always a runner. I watched my dad run all through my childhood, but never really got it. Sure, I ran a couple of races (I was that obnoxious kid who made her mom walk with her when she got tired, and then blasted away at the finish line), and owned a pair of running shoes, but it wasn't something that I was interested in doing more than a couple of times a year.

Instead, I kept busy with dance and theatre and choir. I was active, just in more artistic pursuits, and I'm really glad my parents were okay with that. I played soccer and softball when I was a kid, but they didn't pressure me to keep with it, when it clearly wasn't something I was interested in (or very good at).

Once Hubby and I moved to DC, though, something just clicked. It may have had something to do with the fact that my BFF was living in the same town, and she liked to run, or maybe it was getting to run past national monuments all the time, but that's where I became a runner. Running through the brutal DC summers made me stronger, and the winters were mild enough that I could keep running outside year-round. DC gave me the bug, and I brought it back home to the Midwest when we moved.

Now, I'm still running happily, more than 5 years (and 2 babies) later! I've had my setbacks, but I know it's something I'm stuck with. Getting out there, having that time to think about nothing but putting one foot in front of the other, always brings me back to real life feeling refreshed.

I run to keep myself sane, and to keep myself in shape. I want to be a role model for my kids as they grow up. I want them both to know that being active is fun, and that sweating is okay. I'm sure Thing 1 will be encouraged to try different sports as he grows up, and I want Thing 2 to know that she can play, too. They can dance, if that's what they want, or they can run, or play baseball, or soccer. Whatever.

Running may not always be pretty (ask me about my colossal wipeout the other week), and it may not always be easy, but it's a part of who I am. I'm glad to know there's a group of like-minded women out there, moving with me, doing what they can to stay active.

If you're interested, check out Skirt Sports--they've got great gear for whatever keeps you active. Check out their #REALwomenmove initiative, and see some of the inspiring women I've teamed up with. Oh, and if you realize you need new activewear, you can use the discount code SSAMB20NE to get 20% off your order!

Whether it's running, biking, swimming, or something else, get out there, stay active and just keep moving!

No comments:

Post a Comment