Monday, July 28, 2014

When I Grow Up...

I've officially made it through my first week of half marathon training! Yay! I'm sticking with the same 4-run-per-week schedule that I've used before. It worked well for me in the past, so I'm hoping for more of the same this time. I'll admit that I haven't been the best about fitting in cross training in with my running, so my goal this time is to do better about that. I'd like to be more well-rounded in my fitness approach this time around.

But, enough about that--let's move on to what I really want to talk about this time!

Yesterday's training run was a 2.5 mile run. That's a distance that I'm totally capable of running, even on a bad day. So, I was pushing myself a little, to get some speed out of the workout. I was feeling really good on the run, when I passed this little old couple walking down the sidewalk, holding hands. I said "Coming up on your left," and they scooted to the side for me, and they smiled at me as a blasted past, so I said "Enjoy your evening!" What I really wanted to do was go back and tell them that I want to be them when I grow up. I want us to be the little old couple who still goes on walks together and holds hands, even when we're old and gray. Better yet, I want us to be the little old couple that still runs races together. If I manage to beat Hubby in these races, that's okay too! :-)

Seeing that couple really made me smile, and helped keep me motivated for the rest of the run. It's nice to see such a simple act of love and companionship, when it seems so easy now for people to fly off the handle into anger at the little things. Hubby and I both have great examples in our parents and grandparents, so I'm not exactly worried about the status of our relationship, but I still love to see other people being so simply happy.

So, thank you, random couple I passed on the sidewalk last night! You gave me a moment of peace on my run, and gave me something to look forward to for when Hubby and I grow up. I'm looking forward to every step with this man!

I love reading with Nana!
In case you were wondering, the Things are doing very well. They've had 2 great weekends in a row: my parents and sister visited last weekend, and then lots of activities this past weekend. While my parents were visiting, we all went to lunch at a local restaurant (Hubby and I don't take the kids out to eat by ourselves very often, since it's a little stressful). Since we had the extra hands, we were able to relax and enjoy ourselves more. The Things had a great time trying our food, and did really well. They also love the new water/sand table Nana and Grandad brought. These are two little waterbabies, so we've come home more than once over the past week to soaking wet babies! We haven't added sand to the mix yet, since we know they'll just end up eating it. That will have to be a fun new addition for later.
Just chattin'





July 20th was Moon Day (Hubby's family celebrates the Lunar landing as another holiday). For their first Moon Day, the babies got their very own swing set! They both loooooooooove to swing, so it's exciting for them to have one of their very own. Hubby and his dad set it up on Saturday, and we're all looking forward to lots and lots of fun on it!

Saturday was also the housewarming/engagement party of my sister-in-law and her fiancee. The Things were definitely a hit at the party! They were just the right mix of friendly and talkative, they explored everywhere without getting into too much trouble, and only committed minor acts of thievery. (Thing 2 was so taken with another guest's sunglasses that she attempted to, well, take them. We didn't let her.)
I'm so happy!

We encountered another fun aspect of live with twins this weekend: baby wrestling. Recently, Thing 1 has turned into a cuddler. He loves to come over and throw himself on your arm, or leg, or whatever part of you he can reach, and nuzzle you. Unfortunately, his nuzzling frequently involves him smashing his face into your nose--not too comfy, but it's so cute that I don't mind too much! He's also taken to cuddling Thing 2, but she doesn't like it as much. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that he basically tackles her, knocks her flat, and then lays on top of her... Either way, it usually ends with her crying, but she's learning to fight back. She has teeth, and he doesn't...let's leave it at that....
So many snuggles!

Anyway, we're all keeping busy over here, enjoying the nice weather and trying lots of new things. I'm constantly amazed at how busy every day feels, when we don't really do all that much! I know as the Things get bigger and bigger, we'll be able to enjoy even more with them, and I'm really looking forward to all of the firsts we have coming up! In the meantime, I'm relishing every little hug and kiss and snuggle I get. These really are some special kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment