Wednesday, May 21, 2014

36 + 1

It seems impossible, but Thing 1 and Thing 2 have now spent as long on the outside as they did on the inside! Today, they are 36 weeks and 1 day old.

What a difference 36 weeks makes! 36 + 1 in, 36 + 1 out!
A lot has happened over the past 36 weeks! They're now turning into real people, who can sit up on their own, and (sometimes) get themselves where they want to go (Thing 2 has mastered the army crawl, while Thing 1 prefers to roll to  his destination--he's so close to crawling, but just not there yet). They stick everything straight into their mouths, from food to dog toys to body parts (their own, yours, each others'...they don't care!), and Thing 2 is working on her first tooth! They're sleeping through the night, with some early-morning discussions from Thing 1 to keep things interesting. They love to laugh, and have discovered how entertaining they are--there's nothing sweeter than hearing them make each other giggle (even when they should be sleeping). They love people, and are happiest when there's someone there to hold them, help them walk around the room, or just watch them do their own thing. When one of their favorite people walks into a room, they usually get a shriek as a greeting. It's pretty awesome to have two small people who are so excited to see you that they can't help but scream!

This past weekend was an adventure for all of us. My sister-in-law graduated from college in California on Saturday, and the whole family (minus the Things) went to cheer her on. It was our first trip away from the babies, but we just weren't prepared to consider taking them on a trip that would probably leave little time for napping. So, Nana and Grandad and GG (my parents and grandmother) came to stay for the weekend! It sounds like everyone had a great time, and Hubby and I enjoyed some much-needed sleep. The babies and Mischa were pretty tired when we got home--everybody played hard while we were gone. I was proud of how well I did while I was away from them. I was totally fine during the trip, right up until we landed back in Chicago. As soon as we were back, I couldn't get home fast enough. By the time we were about 5 minutes away from home, I was in tears! I needed to see my babies right away! I had a great time in California, and I'm so glad we got to see Leslie graduate, but it sure is good to be home!

In running news, I'm thinking about going back to evening runs for a while. While we generally get to sleep until 6AM, there are still mornings where somebody (usually Thing 1) wakes us up at 5:30, or sometimes even 4:30, and that lack of sleep really messes me up. I may regret this as summer starts up, and it gets hotter in the evenings, but I'm going to give it a try for a while. I'm still trying to focus on enjoying myself and just getting my runs in. It doesn't matter when they happen, just that they happen! I fell off the wagon last week, and didn't get my three runs in, but we were so busy getting ready for our trip and then enjoying California, and I only feel a little bad about it. I think I made up with quality what I lacked in quantity, though! I ran my first sub-30 minute 5k since before the babies were born! That used to be no big deal, but now it's a huge accomplishment!

This weekend will be our first Memorial Day weekend as a family, and we're looking forward to it. Hopefully there will be a play date with some other twin friends, maybe a trip to the zoo, probably some fun times outside...it's going to be great!

No comments:

Post a Comment